Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sekolah yang kucintai!

Referring to an article from The Malaysian Insider:-
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/opinion/markus-lim/49940-sekolah-yang-kucintai I have my own opinion that I would love to share.

It was indeed a nice article written by Mr. Markus Lim reminiscing his memories with the school he had been with. It makes me reminiscing mine with my alma-mater which clearly has been demolished dued to development. It's so sad to think about it when I actually have no school that I can refer to. What would I say to my children/grandchildren/great grandchildren the greatness of the school their mother/grandmother had been with?

Nenek dulu sekolah mana? Hmm, sekolah nenek dah kena runtuh buat Pavillion. Sad, sad.

Well, that wasn't what I want to share. One of the comments received from the article was referring to how bad the school has been for producing two (2) politicians who have been condemned for being unreliable when it comes to solving a sensitive issue regarding the practices of religion in this country.

My say would be, it was not the school that had done wrong. It was not the school system that had done damages to the individuals but the person itself that has not practising what they have been thought.

The school that I've been and the school that was written in the article practices the same principles when it comes in educating their students. I have close connection with the school as most of my cousins/uncles/aunties were either from SJI, VI, CBN or BBGS. And we were thought to respect each other regardless of what religion you practise.

If I can remember correctly, those four schools were first ruled by the churches. And that explained why those school were situated next to a church. Only years later that the government decided to take over the schools as a purpose of standardizing the education system. But exceptional was given to SJI and CBN (and most of Convent schools, Assunta, La Salle etc) for they can still maintain under the development of the churches with no questions arised.

If you have been to these schools, you would notice that in every classrooms, there will be a cross sign situated on top of the wall (at the top of the green board). Their headmaster/headmistress would be someone from the church (with high qualification of course). There will be sunday prayers held at school every week and no one has ever questioned about it. There will also be a must for the ustazah/ustaz to perform doa every morning before school session starts. Religion was never an issue. We were all living harmoniously. We respect each religions. We have no questions about it (what are there to question anyway?) and most importantly, we respect each other. No racial conflict happened in school.

And I don't quite understand why the matter with "Allah" arised. If we respect each other regardless of any religion you practise, we would understand the important of respecting our beliefs. One does not need to be a politician to understand this. One does not need to be a great scholar to determine what's wrong and what's right when it comes to religion and beliefs. A 10 year-old kid can understand the importance of respecting ones belief. One just need to use the brain to think not the other parts of the body.

I have my say. I'm not siding anyone (I don't think I want to side anyone for any of that matter) Coz this matter is too small to think about. There would be other bigger things to solve compare to this little one. There are other serious issues that need to be solved compare to this tiny-winy little thing. I have my say.

As my school motto say,
"Nisi Dominus Frustra"
Without God, All is in Vain.

No comments: