Friday, January 31, 2014

The year of the horse

Firstly, I would like to wish all my Chinese friends and readers (Cheh, budget macam famous blogger yang ada ramai readers dari segala lompok dunia), Happy Chinese New Year. Hope you have a great celebration with family and friends. And to those who are not celebrating, happy holiday to us :)

Walaupun cerita selanjutnya tiada kaitan dengan CNY tapi tetap nak tulis juga.

Reminiscing my first day working with the company, I was told by my GM then (she is now the company's MD) that I was the only Malay working in the company. I still remember her one last question before showing me my cubicle; "are you sure you can fit in because we have some jingjang Chinese and some modern Chinese here in the company?". Mind you she is also a Chinese but married to a Muslim man hence she is a Muslim. I answered "yes, why not?"

Scared, no I don't think so. Why do I have to be scared? They don't eat human but nervous, yes! Nervous as my England isn't that powderful and I don't speak what more understand Chinese/Mandarin. How to communicate? I guess I am allowed to be nervous. 

Being the only Malay in the company filled with Chinese colleagues put my conscious senses to the highest level. I have to be aware on the plates/bowls and cutleries because obviously, they eat pork and drink whine/beer. But it is not a big of a problem - I bring my own plate, bowls and cutleries, settled!

I have to admit, I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful colleagues. Although, I am the only Malay  Muslim in the company, they are very much sensitive towards my needs. They don't have any issue or being so racist towards me. My boss always reminds me "eh, pergi semayang lah". They will always inform before hand that the food that they ordered were not Halal. We understand each others' interests. 

I have no problem having lunch with them. Obviously, they have to go to the halal place but if they decided to eat the non-halal food, then, I don't join them. Not a issue! We are very much civilized!


After 3 years of working with the company, I am still the only Malay in my department but my population is growing bit by bit. They are hiring more Malays now. And I can understand Chinese a bit. See, it's not always bad! I survived though! Civilization is they main key!

I have no problem if they want to drink beer/whine or eat pork. I have no issue with it. Not that I'm interested but I don't see it as a problem. Hence why I am so sad with what is happening to Malaysia now. Why must we create the racist tension. Why can't we live harmoniously? Why? 

Kesian to our future generations. We build hatred in them and they will always see a Chinese as a Chinese and a Malay as a Malay. And I don't want my children to have this hatred. 

Happy Chinese New Year friends (tetiba je!)

No comments: