Thursday, August 15, 2013

Life in the advertising world

My sister forwarded this article to me yesterday and it reminds me so much of my early days working with one of the well-known local Advertising Firm.

Being a fresh grad, I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to work in one of the well-known local Advertising Firm right after I completed my final semester. I remember having only 1 month break before starting my career with the agency. I started very small, with zero knowledge on Media Planning & Buying. My basic salary was very little, very very little. Well, the pay wasn't what I was looking for. All I wanted was to gain knowledge and experience hence I don't mind taking the public bus to work.

With zero knowledge and background on Media Planning, I've gained interest on the field and decided to expand my career and go for a bigger challenge. I was searching high and low to get the opportunity to work with a bigger media agency. I submitted my resume to all the media agencies in Malaysia and Alhamdulillah, after few months of searching, I received a call from my current agency and the rest is history.

I owe it to the GM of the local Advertising Firm. I shall not put his name down but seriously, I owe him big time. If it wasn't because of him, I don't think I'll be where I am today.

I got to be honest, I got more exposure in the bigger Media Agency compared to the local one. This, I believe is because of the account that I am handling - some or regional clients while some are locals and the amount of money they put into advertising are way bigger compared to the ones under the local agency.

Having said that, I actually agree with the article written below. But, in order to be big, one needs to start small. 

Whether it's from the local/small agency or coming from the well-established International Media Agency, both give you a different kind of experience. It's totally depending on how you take it.

Security, of course the bigger ones are more established but then again, it totally depends on individual.


I got to agree with what's written on the article. But what I always believe and said earlier, in order to be big, one needs to start small.

No comments: