Saturday, August 31, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week

I wasn't aware that August is actually World Breastfeeding Week. I was reading Dr. Halina's blog when I saw one of her post promoting the World Breastfeeding Week event which was held last week. I wanted to participate and be part of other thousands Malaysia moms as it will be recorded (has been recorded) as the largest breastfeed moms at an event tapi hajat tak berkesampaian sebab I had other stuff to do on that day.

But I guess it is never to late to write about it since we are still in August.

I am a supporter of mothers who practice breastfeeding. In fact, I am still breastfeed Iman to date. Dah cuba nak ceraikan but it doesn't seem to be working. I have been breastfeeding Iman exclusively for the first 1.4 years. I decided to mix with formula milk sebab Iman dah tak mahu minum susu dalam botol. Macam-macam jenis botol beli, macam-macam jenis punting dah tukar but masih tak berjaya. So then, I bought Anmum Essential Step 3 and she seems to be liking it walaupun tak minum susu dalam botol. But I still breastfeed her at night.

It wasn't easy. Breastfeeding is tough. It's even tougher if you don't have the strong mind to fight yourself to keep the positivity. I've experienced having low supply sampai buntu tak tahu nak buat apa. But Alhamdulillah, the support I have keep me motivated to keep on breastfeed Iman. Kalau tak dah lama dah give-up. I tried almost everything - minum air fenugreek, makan buah kurma, makan supplements, makan rebusan betik muda - you name it, I had it all.... just to keep on having high level of production. Atas usaha dan kesabaran yang berpanjangan, Alhamdulillah my supply cukup untuk Iman. 

There were also the happy days where I experienced having over-supplied of expressed milk sampai boleh buang-buang sesuka hati.

The feeling is soo....satisfying for being able to feed your children with the best nutrients. Percayalah. Alhamdulillah, bila kita breastfeed, In Shaa Allah anak akan kurang mendapat penyakit-penyakit yang serious. Deman biasa tu adalah, nama pon nak membesar tapi Syukur sangat, Iman belom pernah lagi expereince sakit yang serious-serious.

I pledge to continue to breastfeed my children selagi mampu sekurang-kurangnya the 1st 6 months of their lives. And the bonding you have between your baby and you, Masyaallah sangat kuat! And you get to loose weight very fast!

So mothers & mom-to-be(s), my advise is to practice breastfeeding. It's not going to be easy (that's for sure) but with high determination, good support and the semangat to give the best nutrients to your baby will help you throughout your breastfeeding journey. Usaha, doa & tawakal applies, In Shaa Allah. Good luck mommies!

No comments: